Cambridge Judge Business School was established in 1990 under the name of the Judge Institute of Management Studies, as a focus for management teaching and research in the University.
The building housing the School is a refurbishment and extension of the old Addenbrooke's Hospital, first established on this site in 1766. The original Georgian building was extended in 1824 and again in 1834. A major reconstruction of the hospital in 1866, designed by Matthew Digby Wyatt, incorporated these buildings behind a new façade.
Little now remains of the original buildings other than two listed fireplaces and door frames, but Digby Wyatt's façade was restored as part of the School development, forming the first three storeys of the building as it is viewed from Trumpington Street. Further extensions to the hospital in 1915 and 1930 added the top floor. This was later embellished with a new cornice intended to harmonise it with the rest of the façade, with the central colonnade and pediment being rebuilt.
Due to a shortage of space at Trumpington Street, plans were drawn up in 1948 to move the hospital to a new site on the South side of the city. The first of the new buildings was eventually opened on the new site in 1961. It was not until 1984, however, that the last remaining patients were finally moved from the old hospital. The building then remained empty for eight years, its ‘listed' status preventing its demolition.
In 1991, generous benefactions from Sir Paul and Lady Judge, together with the Monument Trust, provided the funds for the construction of a building for the newly formed School. Architect John Outram was appointed to the project and work on the building was completed in August 1995, being officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II. John Outram converted the listed Ward Blocks and Arcades and rebuilt the Central block of the Old Addenbrooke's Cambridge City Hospital into the library, common room, seminar rooms, computer teaching rooms, seminar boxes, A.V. meeting rooms, the main hall of the new School, and space for expansion. He added three new buildings:
- The Ark, containing rooms for faculty, research graduates, and administrative staff
- The Castle, containing two key lecture theatres and MBA teaching spaces and rooms
- The Gallery, an 80 feet (24.5m) high space containing seminar rooms, multi-level circulation routes, the social stair, and part of the hall
The interior of the School is where we can begin to understand the functionality of the space that John Outram intended. With floating staircases and the seminar balconies in the Gallery it is here that Outram's aim of interaction and collaboration can be seen at its very best.
The impetus for incorporating large break-out areas originally came from Sir Paul Judge, who wanted the interior of the School to stimulate a networking environment. The “seminar balconies”, rather like opera boxes, provide room for people to do outworking and to collaborate together on projects. These structures encourage both students and faculty to bring workgroups and seminars out into the open, and to share ideas and concepts.
The world class faculty of the School is composed of over 80 members of staff. They represent all continents and likewise their research interests span the globe and the full spectrum of business issues. Many are leaders in their field directing cutting-edge research, consulting for top businesses, advising governments, and most of all, bringing their experiences and new found knowledge into the classroom.