Fellow in Marketing
BA, BComm (Hons), PhD (Univ. of Melbourne)
Dr Merlo is currently Lecturer in Marketing at Imperial College Business School. He is also a Fellow in Marketing at Cambridge Judge Business School and a Fellow of St Edmund's College, and has held Visiting Professor positions at numerous universities worldwide. His main teaching, research and consulting interests are in the area of strategic marketing. As a consultant and executive educator, Dr Merlo has worked with clients such as McKinsey & Co., Essex County Council, Petronas Malaysia, Beijing Capital Land, Ernst & Young, ARM, Agricultural Bank of China, Oxford Analytica, Aalto Executive Education, Hong Kong University, Tsinghua University, University of Sao Paolo, Cambridge Addenbrooke's Hospital, Laing O'Rourke, KPN, Telstra, Berri, and Australia Post, among others. Dr Merlo is also a member of Duke Corporate Education's Global Learning Resource Network and acts as advisor to a number of Cambridge start-up companies. Previously he was also Senior Associate of Chant Link & Associates in Australia, and Executive Educator for the School of Enterprise at the University of Melbourne.
Dr Merlo was previously Lecturer in Marketing at Cambridge Judge Business School and Lecturer in Marketing in the Faculty of Economics and Commerce at the University of Melbourne, Australia.
Awards and scholarships
- Best Paper Award (Strategy Formulation and Implementation Track), American Marketing Association (AMA) Winter Educators' Conference, Orlando USA, 2003
- Dean's Awards for Excellence in Postgraduate Teaching and Dean's Awards for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Faculty of Economics and Commerce, The University of Melbourne, 2003, 2004 and 2005
- Swiss National Science Foundation Research Scholarship, for marketing strategy research at Columbia University, New York, 2001
- MIRS and MIFRS Research Scholarships, University of Melbourne, 2000-2003
- European Union Award for Excellence, 1999
- Best Paper Award, Contemporary European Studies Association of Australia, 1999
- William Noall & Son Prize, for best Honours graduate, University of Melbourne, 1999
- Katharine Woodruff Memorial Exhibition, for best Honours thesis, University of Melbourne, 1999
- Joe E. Isaac Prize in Industrial Relations, University of Melbourne, 1999
- Ormond Scholar, Ormond College, University of Melbourne, 1998
Marketing strategy; marketing's contributions to business strategy; the role of marketing within the firm; marketing metrics; entrepreneurial and market orientations; power and politics in decision making; services marketing; customer acquisition and retention management.
Omar Merlo is a member of the Marketing subject group.