University Lecturer in Strategy & Organisation
Ecole Normale Supérieure, LLM (Rennes I), MSc (Paris X Université), MA (EHESS), PhD (HEC Paris)
Strategy and economic sociology; organisation theory; categorisation; valuation; status; legal studies.
Subject group: Strategy & International Business
Lionel Paolella is a University Lecturer at Cambridge Judge Business School, and an Affiliated Faculty at Harvard Law School (Center on Legal Profession). He received a PhD in Strategy at HEC Paris in 2014. He graduated from Ecole Normale Supérieure de Cachan (ENS) in France, after which he earned a MA in Sociology at Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (EHESS) and a MS in Management and Organization Science (University Paris X). Before joining the University of Cambridge, he was a visiting scholar at the University of Chicago (Booth Graduate School of Business) in 2011, and from September 2012 to December 2013, he was a Chazen visiting scholar at Columbia University (Graduate School of Business). where he has carried out a significant part of his graduate research.
His main line of work explores how market categories - clusters that share cognitive and cultural similarities - affect social evaluation and performance of organisations, specifically in the international legal services market.
He currently teaches the core Strategy course in the MBA curriculum, and he is also involved in Executive Education programmes on Professional Service Firms.
Awards & honours
- Emerald Citations of Excellence Award (for "Category stretching: reorienting research on categories in strategy, entrepreneurship, and organization theory" by R. Durand and L. Paolella), 2016
- Winner, Best PhD Paper Prize (with Maima A. Syakhroza), Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, 2016
- Nominee, Best Paper Prize, Strategic Management Society Annual Conference, 2016
- Cambridge Art and Humanities Research Grant Scheme, 2016
- Winner, Roland Calori Award, Best Young Scholar in Strategy, AIMS (French Association of Strategic Management), 2015
- Finalist, Wiley Blackwell Award for Outstanding Dissertation Research in Business Policy & Strategy, 2015
- Center for Research on Society & Organizations Visiting Scholarship, 2012
- HEC Paris Foundation Visiting Scholarship, 2011
- HEC Paris Doctoral Fellowship, 2008-2013
- ENS Cachan Fellowship, 2003-2007
Paolella, L. and Sharkey, A.J. (2017) "Forging consensus: an integrated view of how categories shape the perception of organizational identity." Research in the Sociology of Organizations (forthcoming; available online via the SSRN)
Paolella, L. and Durand, R. (2016) "Category spanning, evaluation, and performance: revised theory and test on the corporate law market." Academy of Management Journal, 59(1): 330-351 (DOI: 10.5465/amj.2013.0651)
Durand, R. and Paolella, L. (2013) "Category stretching: reorienting research on categories in strategy, entrepreneurship, and organization theory." Journal of Management Studies, 50(6): 1100-1123 (DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-6486.2011.01039.x)