On Saturday 5 July, we welcomed alumni and guests back to Cambridge for the CJBS Alumni Reunion 2014.
The day’s events started off at the School, with a panel discussion on the theme of ‘Business and Society’. Chaired by Professor Dame Sandra Dawson, our panellists – Professor Christoph Loch, Polly Courtice, Professor Jaideep Prabhu and Dr Kamal Munir – spoke on a number of different areas, such as “How well is business responding to the social and environmental challenges that we face?”, “How pervious should the boundary be between business and society?” and “How can frugal innovation meet unmet needs in areas such as education, health, energy, and financial services among low income groups?”
Our panellists recommended the following as further reading:
- Jugaad Innovation: Think Frugal, Be Flexible, Generate Breakthrough Growth by Jaideep Prabhu, Navi Radjou and Simone Ahuja. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2012.
- Our Frugal Future: Lessons from India’’s Innovation System by Kirsten Bound and Ian Thornton
- Capital in the 21st Century by Thomas Picketty
- The Price of Inequality by Joseph Stiglitz
- The Spirit Level: Why Equality is Better for Everyone by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett
Following the interactive panel discussion, alumni and guests carried on discussions over prosecco and strawberries, and got the chance to look at a display showcasing the plans for the site expansion project.
The Gala Dinner was held at King’s College, and almost 200 guests were in attendance.