Visas for Executive Education programmes

Do I need to apply for a visa?

Participants who do not hold a UK or Irish passport will need immigration permission in order to come to the UK to attend an Executive Education programme at Cambridge Judge Business School.

The type of permission you require depends on the course you are coming to study:

  • Student visa – for full-time courses longer than six months
  • Visitor visa – for courses or periods of study less than six months

If your country is on the list of visa nationals, you are required to apply for a visa in advance of travelling to the UK. If this is the case, please contact the British Embassy in the country in which you reside. Please note due to the immense backlog of visa applications at British Embassies globally, decisions on visa applications is taking on average six weeks to process rather than the standard three weeks. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to apply for your visa as soon as possible.

If your country is not on the list, you can request entry as a visitor at immigration control on arrival.

Participants from the EEA, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and the USA can use the eGates on arrival in the UK and have automatic entry as a visitor if you do not already hold alternative permission.

What is a short period of study?

  • A short course where the duration is less than six months.

Visitor route

A short period of study, as outlined above, can be supported under the visitor immigration route.

As status as a visitor in the UK has the following restrictions:

  • you cannot take employment in the UK (including part-time or full-time vacation employment)
  • you cannot undertake a work placement/internship (paid/unpaid) as part of the course of study
  • you cannot work on a self-employed basis in the UK or be involved in business activities
  • you cannot extend your stay in the UK
  • you must demonstrate you have the funds to support yourself during your studies in the UK
  • your host faculty, department, or College will issue a specific visa letter to support your entry to the UK as a visitor for study purposes.

If you are coming as a visitor to the UK, you are advised to take out medical insurance for your visit unless your country has a reciprocal agreement with the UK which may entitle you to free healthcare. Further information can be found on the UKCISA website.

Applying before travelling to the UK: Visa Nationals

A Visa National is a person who needs to apply for a visa before they travel to the UK. It currently costs £95 to apply for a six-month Standard Visitor visa at the embassy. You will be issued a multi-entry sticker in your passport which will be valid for six months. This means you can leave and re-enter the UK using the same Standard Visitor visa, but you must still be able to show you have studies to complete. Visit the website to learn more.

I’m an EU/EEA/Swiss national. Do I need a visa post-Brexit?

The UK left the EU on 31 December 2020. From 1 January 2021, EU/EEA nationals have required immigration permission to come to the UK to study unless they have a status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

EU/EEA nationals

Travelling to the UK on your National ID card is being phased out and you should check in advance if you require a passport to enter the UK. You may also wish to obtain travel insurance as use of the EHIC was also phased out in 2021.

External providers of information

Please reach out to the University of Cambridge International Office for further queries.

The collegiate University is a member of the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA), the national advisory body for international students in the UK. UKCISA provides information and telephone support to students from when you are planning and preparing to come to study through to moving on from your studies. UKCISA provides clear, detailed and current information on visas, fees, cost of living, practical concerns (such as housing, healthcare, council tax).

Visit the British Council website for practical guidance for international students on living and studying in the UK.

Visit the Home Office website for information on all aspects of immigration.


Cambridge Judge Business School,
University of Cambridge,
Trumpington Street, Cambridge,

Tel +44 (0)1223 339700

JBS Executive Education Ltd:
Registered in England and Wales
Registration number: 05908393
Registered address: The Old Schools,
Trinity Lane, Cambridge CB2 1TN
VAT number: 823 8476 09

About this site

Privacy policy



© University of Cambridge 2024

Cambridge Judge Business School,
University of Cambridge,
Trumpington Street, Cambridge, CB2 1AG, UK

Tel +44 (0)1223 339700

About this site

Privacy policy



© University of Cambridge 2023