Are you interested in getting involved in entrepreneurship? Do you have a novel idea or application in genomics that would transform the lives of many people?
Kickstart your entrepreneurial career and start developing your venture at the next Venture Creation Weekend on 16-18 November 2018 at Cambridge Judge Business School. It’s a chance to test your business idea ideas relevant to genomics, build a team and pitch to investors in 50 hours!
The Entrepreneurship Centre in partnership with Illumina are offering aspiring entrepreneurs and innovators the chance to explore opportunities, ideas and technologies in the fields ranging from cancer research to agriculture with the focus on:
- genomics-driven advanced therapies, oncology, immuno-oncology
- genomics-driven diagnostics
- synthetic biology application
- agrigenomics application (i.e. food safety and conservation)
- microbiome application
- genomic-driven drug discovery and application.
Who can participate in Genomics VCW?
- Researchers, postdocs, PhD students, entrepreneurs and students who work on ideas related to genomics, in particular the fields mentioned above.
- Everyone else who may not have a genomics-related venture idea but can contribute to business development, market research or in any other way and work as a part of the team.
- Those who want to get inspired and learn how to start their venture.
Why attend the Genomics VCW?
It’s a chance to create, test and validate your genomics venture idea or application with industry experts. You can get inspiration from your peers and mentors, learn the basics of building a business and how to collaborate with others in a team environment. Some of you can go ‘founder-dating’, i.e. use the weekend to match up with one or more co-founders for your business. All participants will work together in teams on customer development, business models, pitching practice and building product prototypes (where appropriate). The most popular ideas are pitched to a panel of judges formed of industry leaders and investors who can provide expert feedback and analysis.
At the end of the VCW, you will have developed your entrepreneurial skills, kick-started your venture, enjoyed the buzz of exploring and creating ideas; and potentially be ready to launch your business together with a talented team.
In addition, one or more of the participating teams will be invited for an interview to join our Accelerate Cambridge incubator programme delivered by the CJBS Entrepreneurship Centre. Please note that successful application is dependent on whether the team meets the selection criteria.
When is it?
The Genomics VCW starts promptly at 17:00 on Friday 16 November (registrations from 16:30) and ends at 19:00 on Sunday 18 November.
The exact dates and times are:
- Fri 16 November 2018, 17:00-18:00 – Keynote speaker (open to everyone)
- Fri 16 November 2018, 18:00-23:00
- Sat 17 November 2018, 08:30-23:00
- Sun 18 November 2018, 08:30-19:00 (followed by a dinner* from 19:00 to close)
* Please note there is a special closing dinner following the final pitches to celebrate the achievements of the weekend.
The venue is Cambridge Judge Business School, Trumpington Street, Cambridge CB2 1AG.
The event will kick-start with a keynote talk on ‘The Power of the Genome: How Technology Born in Cambridge Is Changing the World’, delivered by Dr Vincent Smith, Vice President Core Consumable Development at Illumina. The event is free to attend and open to all. Please note that participation in the Venture Creation weekend requires pre-registration and payment.
What is the VCW like?
Testimonials from attendees at previous Venture Creation Weekends