Leading Clients, People & Work
The competitive pressures on law firm partners in Europe have never been greater. And as these pressures intensify further in the current economic climate, the temptation of many will be to focus on client-facing work rather than on the more challenging aspects of leadership and management.
How can you differentiate and grow your practice? How can you nurture and develop your associate?
This programme has been specifically designed for law firm partners who recognise that, for the firm to be more competitive and successful, you have to be equipped with the insights, skills and techniques that will help you meet the demands of today’s partner role and make you a more effective leader at both firm and practice level.
The Law Firm Partner as Leader Programme brings together leading business academics from the University of Cambridge with top consulting professionals with a wealth of experience in providing strategic, leadership and personal advice and development skills throughout Europe.
The result is a unique learning event which blends academic and practically based sessions to provide you with an in-depth understanding of the concepts of law firm management, coupled with the skills to apply those concepts in your daily working life.
A great environment, away from the office, where you are immersed in a very well-structured and taught programme. The course is designed to make participants really think about what leadership means for them in the context of the law firm. The teaching methods challenge participants. You are working from class one, right through to the end. Whether by design or accident, the interactive manner in which the content is presented and shared with the group also creates a bond amongst the group. People really helped each other achieve their goals and provided sound advice on real-life situations. I am already putting what I’ve learned into practice. I cannot recommend this course highly enough. ”
The programme covers key topics including; dealing with law firm strategies, leadership, people management and client service.
- Integrated leadership and the motivational dynamics of lawyers
- Law firm strategies: practice segmentation; aligning the firm’s practices, people and resources
- Leadership styles: becoming an effective role model, coach and mentor
- High performance teams: making your teams even more effective
- Leadership and values: the power of personal example; leadership and change
- Leading and sustaining change in the firm.
I would highly recommend The Law Firm Partner as Leader programme to any lawyer who finds themselves with increased management and leadership responsibilities. The speakers are exemplary and brought to life the day-to-day issues that managing lawyers in modern-day law firms face through the engaging use of case studies and examples from industries other than law. The programme was intensive and well thought through, and encouraged all attendees to contribute and benefit from each other’s experiences, confidentially and without judgment. I got an awful lot out of the course and continue to do so as I take the experience gained into my day-to-day practice. ”
You’ll learn from outstanding faculty and associates of Cambridge Judge Business School and gain a truly international experience from your global peer group.
- Understand the practical significance of the elements in the integrated leadership model – setting direction, commitment and execution
- Understand the strategic implementation process
- Understand more about your own role as a leader
- Develop an understanding of effective leadership and management of teams
- Increased confidence in your leadership ability and management skills
- Practical case studies to identify principles and reinforce the learning
- Gain practical concepts and frameworks
- Translate frameworks into day-day business responsibilities
- Build a network with other law firm partners from firms across Europe and elsewhere in the world.
I think about the leadership course often, and it has definitely helped steer my thoughts and influence my decision-making in an incredibly positive and focused way. ”
Who should attend
Law firm partners, particularly those in leadership and management positions such as managing partners, members of partnership boards and other firm-wide management committees, practice area heads, industry sector heads, and those in line to take up such positions and responsibilities.
You have done a fantastic job. If you ask me why, the answer lies in the fact that there was top quality from start to finish. This includes the great organisation, quality of accommodation and food, and perhaps most important of all. the great roster of speakers. ”
Faculty & speakers
Mark de Rond
Professor of Organisational Ethnography
DPhil (University of Oxford)
Senior Lecturer in Public Policy & Management, SOAS
PhD (University of Cambridge)
University Lecturer in Strategy & Organisation
PhD (HEC Paris)
University Senior Lecturer in Corporate Governance
PhD (University of London)
MSc (Henley Business School)
Dates & fees
7-10 November 2021
£4,796 + VAT
VAT is charged at the prevailing rate, which is currently 20%; e.g. £4,796 + 20% = £5,755.20.
* Fees include instruction, materials, welcome dinner and refreshment breaks, together with a gala dinner at an historic Cambridge college. Preferential rates may be available for University of Cambridge alumni and members of the School’s Alumni Association. Please note prices pre-registration are subject to change.
Three nights’ bed and breakfast accommodation (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night) is provided as part of the programme fee.
For information regarding payment terms, cancellation rights, transfer policies and fees, please see our terms & conditions documents:
Terms & Conditions for Self-funded Applicants (pdf, 277KB) (updated 4 September 2019)
Terms & Conditions for Organisation-funded Applicants (pdf, 295KB) (updated 4 September 2019)
Registration closes at midday two working days before the programme start date.
Participants are expected to attend the full programme.
Please ensure that you have read our Frequently Asked Questions, which provide important additional information about our face-to-face programmes, in particular during the COVID-19 pandemic.
I feel I understood and actually digested more information and ideas on this course than on any other in which I have participated. Truly great, thank you. ”
If you have any questions or would like to have a chat about this programme and how it could benefit you or your organisation, please get in touch with the programme advisor:
Client Relationship Manager
Tel: +44 (0)1223 339605
Request a call back
Version 9.1 (12 January 2021)