Associate Professor in Organisational Behaviour
BS (Yonsei University), BA, MS (Seoul National University), PhD (University of Toronto)
Creativity and innovation; leadership; group cultures.
Subject group: Organisational Behaviour
Yeun Joon collaborates with, and consults for, several professional organisations. He helps organisations continuously innovate their work processes and products and train their leaders to be more effective in leading employees. He worked at Samsung Electronics for two years as a software engineer.
Awards & honours
- Winner, Faculty Transnational Research Award, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, 2020
- Finalist, Alvah Chapman Outstanding Dissertation Award, 2020
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, 2017-2018
- Finalist, EURAM Most Inspirational Paper Award, 2017
- Winner, Samsung Economic Research Institute Best Paper Awards, 2016
- James Paopst Fellowship, 2015-2016
- National Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate Research Scholarship, Korean Student Aid Foundation (KOSAF), 2012-2013
Here are a selection of Yeun Joon Kim’s publications. Please see the “Selected publications” tab above for a more comprehensive list.
Kim, Y.J. and Toh, S.M. (2021) “New leaders bring unwanted cultural baggage with them.” Harvard Business Review (forthcoming)
Kim, Y.J. and Meeker, A. (2020) “A subordinate’s criticism makes you more creative.” Harvard Business Review, Mar-Apr
Kim, Y.J. and Kim, J. (2020) “Does negative feedback benefit (or harm) recipient creativity? The role of the direction of feedback flow.” Academy of Management Journal, 63(2): 584–612 (DOI: 10.5465/amj.2016.1196)
Kim, Y.J. and Toh, S.M. (2019) “Stuck in the past? The influence of a leader’s past cultural experience on group culture and positive and negative group deviance.” Academy of Management Journal, 62(3): 944–969 (DOI: 10.5465/amj.2016.1322)
Kim, Y.J. and Zhong, C.B. (2017) “Ideas rise from chaos: information structure and creativity.” Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 138: 15-27 (DOI: 10.1016/j.obhdp.2016.10.001)
Kim, Y.J. and Zhong, C.B. (2016) “Moral reasoning and creativity.” Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings, 2016(1) (DOI: 10.5465/ambpp.2016.19)