Associate Professor in Accounting
Academic Director, Wo+Men’s Leadership Centre
Deputy Director, Centre for Financial Reporting & Accountability (CFRA)
BBA (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor), MBA (University of California, Berkeley), PhD (University of California, Berkeley)
Stock markets and financial information disclosure (earnings quality and capital market reactions to accounting information); sell-side analysts; management incentives and compensation; gender diversity.
Subject group: Accounting
Jenny combines teaching and research with a background in investment banking and portfolio management. She worked on corporate finance and M&A transactions for technology companies at Credit Suisse in Silicon Valley. She later transitioned into a portfolio management role at the hedge fund division of Barclays Global Investors (now Blackrock). Her research has been published in academic journals such as Management Science, as well as covered by the popular press such as the Financial Times, the New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal.
Awards & honours
- J M Keynes Fellowship in Financial Economics Award, University of Cambridge, 2022-2024
- Cambridge Judge Business School Teaching Award, 2019
- FMA Competitive Paper in Corporate Finance Award for the paper “Do compensation consultants enable higher CEO pay? New evidence from recent disclosure rule changes”, 2015
- Cambridge Judge Business School Teaching Award, 2013
- Crawford Research Assistant Fellowship Award, University of California, Berkeley, 2008
- CJ White Investment Banking Scholarship, University of California, Berkeley, 2004
- Alumnae Council Scholarship, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1999-2000
- Class Honors, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1997-2000
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Here are a selection of Jenny Chu’s publications. Please see the “Selected publications” tab above for a more comprehensive list.
Chu, J., Florou, A. and Pope, P. (2021) “Auditor university education: does it matter?” European Accounting Review (DOI: 10.1080/09638180.2020.1866633) (published online Jan 2021)
Chu, J., Gupta, A. and Livne, G. (2021) “Pay regulation – is more better?” Accounting and Business Research, 51(1): 1-35 (DOI: 10.1080/00014788.2020.1815515)
Chu, J., He, Y., Hui, K.W. and Lehavy, R. (2020) “New product announcements, innovation disclosure, and future firm performance.” Social Science Research Network Working Paper.
Chu, J. (2019) “Accruals, growth, and future firm performance.” Abacus, 55(4): 783-809 (DOI: 10.1111/abac.12177) (also available online via the SSRN)
Chu, J., Florou, A. and Pope, P.F. (2019) “Auditor education: does it matter?” Social Science Research Network Working Paper.
Chu, J., Dechow, P.M., Hui, K.W. and Wang, A.Y. (2019) “Maintaining a reputation for consistently beating earnings expectations and the slippery slope to earnings manipulation.” Contemporary Accounting Research, 36(4): 1966-1998 (DOI: 10.1111/1911-3846.12492) (also available online via the SSRN)
Chu, J., Faasse, J. and Rau, P.R. (2018) “Do compensation consultants enable higher CEO pay? A disclosure rule change as a separating device.” Management Science, 64(10):4915-4935 (DOI: 10.1287/mnsc.2017.2845) (available online via the SSRN)