Associate Professor in Operations Management
Director of the MPhil in Strategy, Marketing & Operations Programme
PhD (Georgia Institute of Technology), BEng (National Technical University of Athens)
Business analytics and data-driven decision-making processes; technology and R&D management; biopharmaceutical industry.
Subject group: Operations & Technology Management
In addition to his academic work, Nektarios has worked closely on research projects with numerous executives from the biopharmaceutical industry, both in large pharmaceutical organisations and small biotech companies. He has also co-authored the forthcoming book, From Breakthrough to Blockbuster: The Business of Biotechnology.
Awards & honours
- Winner, Best Working Paper Award (for the paper “Project selection and success: insights from the drug development process” (with P. Markou and S. Kavadias), INFORMS TIMES, 2018
- 2nd Prize, POMS PITM College Best Student Paper (Jochen Schlapp), 2015
- 3rd Prize, Best-Paper-Award Innovation Management, for the paper “Resource allocation decisions under imperfect evaluation and organizational dynamics” (with Jochen Schlapp and Vincent Mak), Strascheg Institute for Innovation & Entrepreneurship (SIIE), EBS Business School, 2015
- Cambridge Judge Business School Teaching Award, 2014
- NATO Scholarship for Doctoral Studies, 2006-2007
Here are a selection of Nektarios Oraiopoulos’s publications. Please see the “Selected publications” tab above for a more comprehensive list.
Drakeman, D.L. and Oraiopoulos, N. (2020) “The risk of de-risking innovation: optimal R&D strategies in ambiguous environments.” California Management Review, 62(3): 42-63 (DOI: 10.1177/0008125620915289)
Agrawal, V. and Oraiopoulos, N. (2020) “The role of decision rights in codevelopment initiatives.” Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 22(4): 645-867 (DOI: 10.1287/msom.2019.0775)
Neuberger, A., Oraiopoulos, N. and Drakeman, D.L. (2019) “Renovation as innovation: is repurposing the future of drug discovery research?” Drug Discovery Today, 24(1): 1-3 (DOI: 10.1016/j.drudis.2018.06.012)
Oraiopoulos, N. and Dunlop, W.C.N. (2017) “When science is not enough: a framework towards more customer-focused drug development.” Advances in Therapy, 34(7): 1572–1583 (DOI: 10.1007/s12325-017-0567-y)
Neuberger, A., Oraiopoulos, N. and Drakeman, D.L. (2017) “Lemons, or squeezed for resources? Information symmetry and asymmetric resources in biotechnology.” Frontiers in Pharmacology, 8: 338 (DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2017.00338)
Schlapp, J.N., Oraiopoulos, N.and Mak, V. (2015) “Resource allocation decisions under imperfect evaluation and organizational dynamics.” Management Science, 61(9): 2139-2159 (DOI: 10.1287/mnsc.2014.2083)