skip to navigation skip to content
A man cycling under a tree on Jesus Green in the sunlight.
© Photo by James Appleton

We have one space available during December 2023, and further spaces available after that.

It is sometimes possible for scholars who are registered as full-time students at another university and who are aiming for a postgraduate qualification to apply to do joint research with a Cambridge Judge Business School faculty member for a limited period (not more than one year).


As an applicant you will need the support of a Cambridge Judge Business School faculty member, who must agree to be your host.

The faculty member applies to the Director of the PhD programme on your behalf, outlining the proposed joint research and target journals for a joint publication.

Following provisional approval by the PhD Director, you must contact the PhD office to provide:

  • a supporting letter from your academic supervisor at your current university, including confirmation that your research here relates to your ongoing studies overseas and confirmation of visit dates
  • the dates of your visit
  • a scan of your passport page
  • transcripts for your current and previous degrees
  • an enrolment document which shows that start and end date of your current degree (you must be registered as a student at your home institution throughout your visit to CJBS)
  • an English Language test result (Visiting students at CJBS are required to have an IELTS (English language test) score of 7.5 overall. If you narrowly miss this score (by 0.5), then you may take a test with the University Language Centre to determine whether your English language ability is sufficient. This test will cost you £85.)
  • other documents depending on the type of visa you require.


For October 2023 – September 2024 the fees are £495 per month – including the summer. Visitors are entitled to use all the University facilities*. They are invited to attend seminars and join in with PhD events.

If you are required by the University Language Centre to take an in-sessional English Language course during your visit, that will cost you £570.

* In usual times our visiting students are guaranteed a business school desk and PC. Depending on what social distancing regulations are in place, it may not be possible to allocate you a desk or there may be a rota in place such that you can use a desk for a limited number of hours each week.

Engagement with our PhD community

We expect that our visiting students will engage with our full-time PhD students and participate in PhD events, weekly PhD presentation lunches and seminar series within the School.

Council tax

Visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website for information on international students and Council Tax. Essentially, if the university where you are registered is not in the EU and you are here for more than a couple of months then it is very likely that you will have to pay Council Tax as a ‘resident adult’. As an example, the annual Council Tax for 2022/23 for an average Band D property in Cambridge with no exemptions was £2,014. Visit the Cambridgeshire County Council website for more tax bands.

College membership

As a Department we do not arrange for College membership. If you wish to become a member of a College you will need to apply through the formal admission process to Postgraduate Admissions (with an annual deadline of 5 January). Academic requirements would be the same as above. Different fees would apply.

There are a few Colleges within Cambridge who may accept a direct application for membership after admission by the Department and upon payment of a College fee. As a Department we are not involved in these arrangements

Travelling outside Cambridge

In line with the holidays/vacation days taken by our full-time PhDs, this department sets a limit of 4 weeks a year travel outside Cambridge for visiting students (plus bank holidays plus weekends). The 4 weeks should be pro-rated if you are visiting for less than 12 months. There is also a strong expectation that holiday is not taken within the dates of full term.

Student visas

Are you from outside the UK and Ireland? If so, you’ll require a Student visa to study full-time at Cambridge. To obtain this visa, you’ll need sponsorship from a licence holder (the International Student Team at the University of Cambridge). The School’s PhD office will contact the International Student Team on your behalf to request that a ‘Confirmation of Acceptance’ (CAS) be sent to the UKBA.

The CAS will only be granted if you meet the language requirements stated above and provide the PhD Office with your academic transcripts for review.

As part of the visa application, you will need to pay the application fee and the immigration health surcharge (currently £470 per year this visa is granted).

Non-EEA nationals will continue to be issued a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) as evidence of their student immigration permission. EEA and Swiss nationals will be issued a digital status which can be verified online.

Once in Cambridge, as a ‘Student visa’ student you must:

  • report to the School’s PhD office at the start of your visit/study
  • provide the School’s PhD office with a copy of your passport and visa/ID card
  • ensure the School has up-to-date contact details for you at all times
  • ensure that you engage in-person within the department; your supervisor will be required to write about your academic engagement each term.

‘Student Visa’ students are advised by the International Student Team to apply for their visa at least two months before the planned start of their visit to Cambridge.

Please note that if your visit is for less than six months, you may be able to come to the UK on a visitor visa instead of under the Student visa.

Experience a taste of Cambridge life and Cambridge Judge Business School with our 360° tours.

View our virtual tours

View the profiles of our current doctoral students.

Read more