Pursue your passion for finance
Combine advanced study with research on our intensive 9-month masters programme and prepare for a PhD in Finance or an industry career. Six core courses, 3 electives, project and coursework make up the MPhil in Finance curriculum. Lectures with world-leading faculty, peer-to-peer interaction and classroom discussions on theoretical and empirical finance research make the Cambridge learning experience truly stimulating.
During the programme, you will:
- gain statistical, mathematical and other skills needed to conduct research in your chosen field
- learn to independently study, analyse and critique academic literature
- sharpen your public speaking skills, by engaging in individual and group presentations
It may be possible for students to offer a dissertation in place of 3 taught elective modules. This is subject to the approval of the Degree Committee, Programme Director and Head of the Finance subject group, as well as the availability of a supervisor.
Students interested in continuing to the Business School’s PhD programme, either at the end of the MPhil or after a gap year, are strongly encouraged to take taught modules only, and may only take the dissertation option if they have had sufficient prior research training.
Members of the School have access to the following financial databases:*
- Capital IQ + Capital IQ Pro (S&P)
- Compustat (via WRDS)
- CRSP (via WRDS)
- DataStream (via Eikon)
- EMIS DealWatch
- Eventus (via WRDS)
- Execucomp (via WRDS)
- ISS (via WRDS)
- Markit CDS (via WRDS)
- Mergent FISD (via WRDS)
- Mergent Online
- Mergent Intellect
- MSCI ESG Intangible Value Assessment
- MSCI GMI Ratings (via WRDS)
- Option Metrics (via WRDS)
- TRACE (via WRDS)
* Information correct as of September 2023.