Sustained innovation is a necessity for businesses to thrive – and survive.
However, for most firms, the strategies and processes associated with innovation remain vague and not professionally managed. As a result, most firms are unable to innovate and thus create new value. Amongst those who can create new value, few are able to capture it.
In this unique programme, we will learn why firms struggle to create and capture new value. We will share a number of concepts on how to implement innovation in your organisation and develop a set of practical tools and concepts that you can apply to your business.
Why is it unique?
This is the only programme in Europe from a major business school where you can experience a live course in English with face-to-face interaction with both faculty and your peers.
The programme is taught by Dr Kamal Munir and Professor Stelios Kavadias, two leading experts in the field of innovation.
Cambridge Judge Business School offers a distinctive approach born out of the University of Cambridge way.
- The programme draws up on cutting-edge academic research, as you would expect from a business school with 19 research centres.
- The University of Cambridge has always emphasised smaller class sizes for maximum interaction and focused effort between world-class faculty and top-quality participants. Cambridge Judge is no exception. This makes your experience here one of unrivalled quality and relevance.
- Our programmes may be shorter, we aim to maximise the use of your time – you will likely be stretched as you have never known; that is the Cambridge way.
Any competitive advantage or leverage is critical in today’s global work place. The Managing Innovation Strategically programme brilliantly highlights how to manage innovative development projects and how to identify complementary assets to capture value. The programme provided some terrific tools for Knight Frank LLP to maintain our marketing leading position. ”
- Understanding why organisations are unable to sustain innovation
- Using and harnessing the power of your customers to innovate effectively
- Making you and your organisation more creative
- Creating a portfolio of innovation projects
- Managing innovative development projects
- Disrupting your competitors with innovative business models
- Operationalising new business models
- Capturing the value you have created
- Developing complementary assets to capture value
- Enhancing your product’s success in the market.
I attended with the intention of gaining insights and clarity on ways to tackle innovation, which the programme very successfully achieved. ”
I thoroughly enjoyed my participation in the Managing Innovation Strategically programme, and I came away with some vital new lessons that I will be applying to my personal work as well as to my day-to-day life. I was particularly excited by the exercise in which we had to choose an ecosystem and come up with ideas of how we would disrupt it. This was a very good follow-up to the “ideation” exercise. ”
You’ll learn from outstanding faculty and associates of Cambridge Judge Business School and gain a truly international experience from your global peer group.
On completion of this practical and fast-paced programme you will:
- Have the tools and techniques of managing innovation
- Be able to apply innovation in your organisations to enhance performance
- Identify process from innovation to create competitive advantage
- Understand the factors required to support creativity and innovation
- Understand the innovation implementation process and how best to organise innovation.
This programme counts towards the Cambridge Judge Business School General Management Certificate of Achievement and the Cambridge Judge Business School Innovation Management Certificate of Achievement.
The module has given me insight into how organisations can capture greater value by managing innovation strategically. As an enterprise risk management professional, the module has provided me with an opportunity to view and appreciate the business’s activity from a different lens and hence potentially provide greater value in the context of my role. I feel I can now get a better sense of how innovative ideas have the potential to reap high reward if selected and executed correctly, despite being abstract sometimes and carrying uncertainties/risks. ”
Who should attend
- Leaders interested in creating an innovative organisation
- R&D executives
- Marketing managers involved in innovation
- Strategy managers looking for new business models
- Anyone wanting to learn about new product/service development.
The two days were full of critical insights and lively discussions into how companies disrupt in different industries. As we live in a very challenging era of transformation, I could relate to the many business challenges we face on a day-to-day basis, and reflect on them with fresh thoughts and perspectives. ”
Data taken from the 2017 Managing Innovation Strategically class.
As an innovation professional, I expected some of the content to be redundant. However, the strategic focus of the two days meant the programme has been much more useful than I originally thought. It’s provided valuable insights that I will use when advising clients. ”
Faculty & speakers
Stylianos (Stelios) Kavadias
Margaret Thatcher Professor of Enterprise Studies in Innovation & Growth
Shazhad (Shaz) Ansari
Professor of Strategy & Innovation
PhD (University of Cambridge)
The training was fantastic. I learned the concepts and practical tools that can be applied to building sustainable business models for innovation partnerships with the private sector. I learned that if an organisation does not embrace change when needed they will turn into Blockbuster, and Netflix will take over the market. ”
Dates & fees
6-7 October 2022
£2,500 + VAT
VAT is charged at the prevailing rate, which is currently 20%; e.g. £2,500 + 20% = £3,000.
* Fees include instruction, materials, lunch and breaks. Preferential rates may be available for groups, University of Cambridge alumni and members of the School’s Alumni Association. Please note prices pre-registration are subject to change.
For information regarding payment terms, cancellation rights, transfer policies and fees, please see our terms & conditions documents:
Terms & Conditions for Self-funded Applicants (pdf, 277KB) (updated 25 August 2021)
Terms & Conditions for Organisation-funded Applicants (pdf, 295KB) (updated 25 August 2021)
Registration closes at midday two working days before the programme start date.
Participants are expected to attend the full programme.
Please ensure that you have read our Frequently Asked Questions, which provide important additional information about our face-to-face and Live Online programmes, in particular during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The methodology used in the teaching process was extremely clear and vivid. A thought-provoking programme blending fresh academic thinking with the collective creativity of the class, to formulate tangible techniques and thinking to use in both business and life. Inspiring, informative, and implementable all in one. Thank you. ”
If you have any questions or would like to have a chat about this programme and how it could benefit you or your organisation, please get in touch with the programme advisor:
Business Development Director
Tel: +44 (0)1223 330741
Mob: +44 (0)7548 708067
Version 8.2 (9 July 2021)