Welcome to Management Studies Tripos admissions
If you are an undergraduate student at the University of Cambridge, you have completed at least 3 (more generally 3) years of another Tripos and you are interested in pursuing a career in management, then this programme is for you.
Please note that it is not possible to take the Management Studies Tripos immediately on entry to Cambridge (ie in your first year), nor is it possible to transfer to the programme from any other institution in the UK or abroad.
Who we are looking for?
We’re after University of Cambridge undergraduates, with a strong academic record and an interest in acquiring the knowledge and skills a good manager needs.
The Management Studies Tripos is for you if:
- you are in your second year of a 3-year Cambridge bachelor’s degree
- you see yourself in a management role in the future
- you are passionate about people and organisations
- you are an aspirational entrepreneur
- you are looking for a career in the corporate business world.
You have made an excellent choice to pursue a management-focused course outcome through the Management Studies Tripos. Here’s the key steps to our application process.
- Step 1 – College Tutorial Office
- Step 2 – Application
- Step 3 – Application review
- Step 4 – Conditional offer
- Step 5 – Progress to Unconditional Offer
- Step 6 – Appeals process (if relevant)
Our minimum requirements
Take the first step with our handy checklist to see if you meet the course requirements.
For 2023/24, we anticipate the minimum entry requirement will be at least 67.5% over your previous 2 years of Cambridge study. Please note that the minimum requirement for applicants in their second year may be slightly higher than that for third-year applicants. Places are limited and third-year students will not be eligible to apply again. The admissions criteria are:
- Third-year students: If you are currently in your third year of study, offers will be based on a weighted average of results from your second-year (30%) and third-year (70%) university examinations. Applicants currently on their Year Abroad (eg Modern Languages students) will be considered on the basis of their second-year results.
- Second-year students: If you are in your second year to study, offers will be on the basis of your current year’s university examinations. First year results will not be considered in the admission decision, except where no other results are available.
References from your College tutors and directors of studies may be requested by the Tutorial Office to make their final decisions.
It is not critical that you have a high level of mathematical knowledge. However, if you don’t have a mathematical background (or mathematics to A-level), you might want to prepare for the programme by studying some mathematics and statistics in advance.
Overall degree classification from Easter Term 2023
After the MST, your degree will be a BA Hons. Your Official Transcript will give the class and marks for each Part of each Tripos you have taken as part of the BA.
The overall degree classification scheme will take effect for all students graduating from Easter Term 2023.
For students currently in their second year of study
Candidates taking the Management Tripos in their third year will be classed using the 0:30:70 weighting, with 30% of marks coming from the second-year Tripos. The MST will account for 70% of a student’s final degree outcome.
For students currently in their third year of study
Candidates taking the Tripos in their fourth year will be classed by their Part II Tripos scheme only. The Management Studies Tripos result will not be factored into the overall degree classification.
All module marks and class for the MST will continue to appear on the official university grade transcript.
For MML students returning from year abroad
MML students will be classed using a 0:30:0:70 weighting, with 30% of marks from second-year Tripos and the MST accounting for 70% of a student’s final degree outcome.