4 days (Face-to-face)
£4,400 + VAT (Face-to-face)
24-27 Apr 2023 (Face-to-face)
Projects have become a major tool for achieving organisational change, by not only developing new products and/or technologies with new markets, but also by setting up new processes or new businesses, building new structures, or testing ways to change culture and work together. In other words, projects are a tool to make the senior management change agenda happen. This programme offers ways of managing and monitoring not a single project, but collections of projects for achieving organisational performance and strategic change.
If you are interested in attending this Leading the Project Organisation 4-day programme, please complete the register your interest form, and a member of our team will contact you to discuss your needs, and answer any questions you may have.
Your learning journey
Session 1 – Strategy and Projects
- Business strategy and strategic change
- Cascading strategic goals into initiatives
- Linking initiative outcomes and strategic progress.
Session 2 – Multiproject Management and Organisational Capacity
- Project flow charts and capacity utilisation
- How to manage overall project capacity to prevent delays and a degradation of accountability in the organisation.
Session 3 & 4 – Project Portfolios as Strategy Execution, Portfolio Design
- A simulation of strategic portfolio management based on a real case
- Challenges and tensions
- Portfolio generation and management as a creative exercise to execute strategy
- Tools of portfolio management.
Session 5 – Organisational Structures
- How projects and processes can coexist in an organisation
- The trade-offs: communication links and reporting lines, expertise and speed.
Session 6 – Governance and Alignment
- Project governance
- Mechanisms to keep projects aligned with the organisation and with each other.
Session 7 – Leadership and Fair Process:
- Assess the importance managing stakeholders
- Recognise how to motivate project teams.
Session 8 – Organisational Learning Across Projects
- The elements of a learning infrastructure across the organisation.
How does the programme benefit you?
Projects have become an important mode of operation in executing organisational change. But the classic project management paradigm does not address the organisational needs of this broad change agenda. This programme prepares senior managers to set up their organisation to be able to use projects more systematically and more successfully as change agents.
How does the programme benefit and impact the organisation?
- Linking projects to strategy execution and thus make them targeted and coordinated
- Understanding organisational capacity so projects can be executed rather than gridlocked
- Using projects explicitly to strengthen strategy execution
- Understanding project governance as separate from normal process governance in the line
- Linking project leadership to organisational leadership
This programme counts towards the Cambridge Judge Business School General Management Certificate of Achievement. On completing the GMCA you will be eligible to become an associate member of Cambridge Judge Business School’s global network of graduates and business-focused University of Cambridge alumni, faculty and staff.
Faculty & speakers
Learn from our world-class faculty who bring fresh insights from their leading-edge research into all of our Executive Education programmes.
The Academic Programme Director (APD) for the Leading the Project Organisation programme is Professor Christoph Loch.
Access profiles of the programme’s APD and faculty:
Face-to-face is a traditional, intense classroom learning experience and is all about hands-on interaction. You will be a part of exercises, debates and conversations, engaging directly with our faculty and your peers. Conversations spill over into breaktimes and meals, forming lasting connections. Share your ideas, develop your network and grow professionally, whilst enjoying the historic city of Cambridge.
Who should attend?
Those looking to develop project organisation capabilities including but not limited to:
- Senior C-Suite Leaders
- Senior Portfolio Management personnel
- Senior Project Programme personnel
- Senior Functional Management personnel (operations, finance, marketing IT, etc).
Why Cambridge Judge Business School?
Cambridge Judge faculty
All of our programmes are designed and led by an Academic Programme Director, who is a member of Cambridge Judge Business School faculty. They will also deliver substantial portions of that programme.
The research conducted by Cambridge Judge Business School’s 20 research centres, across a diverse range of disciplines, flows directly into all of our programmes, bringing new insights to our programme content.
Small group learning
With small class sizes, we continue the Cambridge way of learning that emphasises high levels of interaction with both our world-class faculty and peers.
If you have any questions or would like to have a chat about this programme and how it could benefit you or your organisation, please get in touch with the programme advisor:
Director of Open Programmes
Tel: +44 (0)1223 765855
Mob: +44 (0)7879 116776
£4,400 + VAT (Face-to-face)
Fees include instruction, materials, lunch and breaks. Preferential rates may be available for groups, University of Cambridge alumni and members of the School’s Alumni Association. Please note prices pre-registration are subject to change.
Registration closes at midday two working days before the programme start date.
Participants are expected to attend the full programme.
VAT is charged at the prevailing rate, which is currently 20%; e.g. £4,900 + 20% = £5,880.
For information regarding payment terms, cancellation rights, transfer policies and fees, please see our terms & conditions documents:
Version 1 (3 November 2022)